It’s estimated that nearly 5 million vehicles hit a dog every year, and these accidents can be fatal. Dogs are drawn to the car because they can sense the movement of a vehicle, which means they should always be restrained when not in their home or yard. That said, there are things you can do to keep your pet safe on the road.
- Get your pet used to car rides ahead of time by taking it on short trips around town.
- Keep them close by using a crate or carrier for long drives and at home.
- Bring along plenty of water and healthy treats for your pet to eat throughout the trip as well as familiar toys, so they’re less likely to become bored.
- If you want to make sure they don’t try to jump out while you’re driving, tie a leash around their collar and put them in a kennel right next to you in your car seat.
- Lastly, if you have children with you in the car.
Is your pet safe on the road?
Every year, it’s estimated that nearly 5 million vehicles hit a dog. This can lead to serious injuries, such as broken bones or internal bleeding. So how can you lower the chance of your pet getting hit by a car?
What to do if you have a new puppy
New puppies are energetic and curious. They’re a lot of fun, but they can also be more than a handful. Here are some tips to keep your puppy safe on the road:
- Keep your pup in a crate or carrier while you’re driving.
- Take your pet on short car rides ahead of time so they get used to it.
- Keep their food and water close by in case they get hungry or thirsty
- Put your pup inside an enclosed space away from children while in the car
- Tie a leash around the dog’s collar and put them into a small kennel right next to you in your car seat
- Carry a dog blanket which is long enough to cover the whole body and snuggly enough to protect from heat.
How to keep them safe at home
It’s worth considering the safety of your pet before you take them on a trip. Dogs can be unpredictable, which means it’s difficult to keep them safe during a car ride. Keep your dog at home or in a secured yard in a secure enclosure. If you’re worried about your dog leaving the yard when you’re gone, get an invisible fence for their home that will let you know if they leave the yard.
- Boarding Your Dog – Some places offer boarding services for pets and this is a good option for some people who need to travel but have concerns about taking their pet on a long car trip alone.
- Staying Close to Home – If you live close to home, consider staying in place so that your dog stays safe and comfortable. If you can’t stay where you are, don’t hesitate to rent out an Airbnb nearby so that your pup can visit with family while you’re away.
- Car Seat Containment – If there are children in the backseat of your car, consider getting them a booster seat or installing one into the backseat of your car so that they can be more comfortable while travelling as well.
- Invisible Fences– Using an invisible fence is another way to keep dogs inside their homes or yards when they’re not there with their human owners. These fences will alert their owners if they leave their boundary and provide peace of mind while they’re gone from home or sleeping in the backyard
How to get your dog used to car rides
If you want to make sure your pet is less likely to try and jump out of the car while you’re driving, tie a leash around their collar and put them in a kennel right next to you in your car seat.
Keep them close by using a crate or carrier for long drives and at home
If you’re going to be out of town for a long time and you don’t have the time or money to take your dog with you, get them used to car rides by taking short trips around town before you leave. It will help them adjust better when you do decide to take them on a long drive. If they’re used to going for car rides, it’s also less likely that they’ll pester the driver.
Bring along plenty of water and healthy treats
The car can be hot and dry, which means your pet may not want to drink as much water as they should be. Bring along plenty of water and ensure that your pet is getting the proper nutrition by giving them healthy treats throughout the trip.
Keep your pet entertained with familiar toys
Dogs like their own toys, so having familiar ones in the car can keep your pet from becoming bored and try to jump out during a ride. This is especially important if you have children with you in the car, who might inadvertently trigger this behavior.
Tie a leash around their collar and put them in a kennel right next to you in your car seat
This is an option if you’re concerned about your dog jumping out of the vehicle while driving on bumpy roads or highways. Your dog will feel more secure when it has a leash on because it will feel like it has some control over where it is hitting the ground. And finally, make sure there’s enough room
Include dog treats along with toys in the car so they’re less likely to be bored
Dogs are often drawn to cars because they can sense the movement of a vehicle. That’s why dogs should always be restrained when not in their home or yard. If you want to make sure your dog doesn’t try to jump out while you’re driving, tie a leash around your pet’s collar and put them in a kennel right next to you in your car seat. Lastly, if you have children with you in the car, make sure that their treats are also in their car seat for them as well so they don’t become bored.
If you have children with you, put them in their own seat.
If you have children with you in the car, put them in their own seat. The child seat belt should be connected to an anchor point that’s no more than 14 inches from the back of the front seat. When your pet jumps into the front seat, he or she will hit their head on the back of the front seat and get injured if they continue going forward.
Keeping your dog safe on the road is important to keep them from getting hurt or even worse, killed.
If you have a new puppy, it may take some time for your dog to get used to riding in the car. You should take your time and be patient with them.
And remember, keep your car’s windows up and doors locked at all times. Your dog will be safe in the car if they are kept away from distractions like people talking or radio. It’s also a good idea to put treats and toys in the back seat so they won’t be bored during a long drive. To know more about dogs and dog breeding visit FunnyFuzzy.